OK guys, listen up. Do you believe that your attractiveness is only skin deep? Wrong! We are talking skin health here and what you see on the outside can be tweaked by what you do to your insides. Adding some of the right nutrients each day can go a long way in promoting how handsome you are! And as we all well know, when you feel good about the way you look, you benefit in many ways. So go eat with “handsome” in mind.
Nutrition science supports the connection between certain nutrients and skin health so go ahead and nourish your skin from the inside out. Including certain nutrients in your diet will help reduce the harmful effects of UV exposure, reduce aging of the skin, eliminate toxins and even limit hair loss. Skin is our largest organ and its prime function is to act as a barrier between the internal and external environment of our bodies. A whole food diet with particular attention paid to specific vitamins and other nutrients is a powerful tool not just for skin health but for overall health. Where do we find those vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants which can improve your handsomeness?
- Wild salmon, sardines, flaxseed, walnuts, and chia seeds for omega-3 fatty acids needed for skin repair, moisture content, anti-inflammatory effects and overall flexibility
- Citrus, kale, parsley, broccoli and bell peppers for vitamin C to protect skin from damaging sun exposure
- Carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, apricots and chili peppers for vitamin A that promotes proper repair and maintenance of skin
- Almonds, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, avocado, and asparagus for connective tissue and UV protection
- Tuna, brazil nuts, garlic, eggs and brown rice for the anti-oxidant selenium to quench free radicals, reduce hair loss and for tissue elasticity
- Green beans, garbanzo beans, strawberries, cucumber and celery for the mineral silica essential for the connective tissue in hair and nails
- Pecans, oats, ginger, pumpkin seeds and oysters for zinc needed for controlling oil in skin and acne
While you’re at it, don’t forget the powerful role of sleep and exercise for your skin health. Sleep goes a long way in improving our appearance as well as reducing daily stress, re-energizing us, or helping with repair of body tissues. Exercise helps with detoxification as well as a myriad of benefits for skin and anti-aging.
Bottom Line: Eat handsomely, get plenty of sleep, pump some iron and your skin will glow!