For Men’s Cosmetics, the Timing Was Right For Investment – NY Times

When an intermediary told them about Menaji, Ms. Viglielmo said they thought the timing was right for men’s cosmetics. The taboos about men’s wearing makeup — known as color in the industry — were fading, she said. “You have older guys in the workplace and men dating at different ages,” she said. “These products are needed.”

To me, the bigger question was, What do a beauty consultant and two finance guys who spent most of their careers at a large firm know about running a company? I wanted to test their assumptions with more seasoned advisers while also identifying the common mistakes that such D.I.Y. private equity teams make.

SELECTING THE INVESTMENT Before investing in Menaji, Mr. Fisher said, the team spent almost a year doing due diligence. That was on top of the nearly two years the group had spent looking for a company in which to invest.

“We resisted the temptation to move quickly or else we would lose the opportunity,” he said. “We needed time to perform thorough due diligence and develop a comprehensive plan.”

When they were comfortable, the group put up 75 percent of the investment, with the other 25 percent coming from seven other investors. (They declined to disclose the amount.) They also took out aloan from the Bank of Fairfield, a community bank, after many others, including Chase, passed. To secure the loan, the group had to sign personal guarantees, further tying their financial futures to this investment.

Read Full Article on NY Times

V is for V-Neck

For years men have always had their “go to” styles for cocktail attire. For whatever the occasion may be, the button down oxford shirt has been the staple for millions over centuries and continents. Only until recently has there been a new player in the game from a veteran in the fashion world; the v-neck. Now I’m not saying that it is time for the oxford to hang up its cleats and get out of the game, not by any means, my words here are to educate those who have yet to catch up to the ever growing trend of the v-neck and its oft misunderstood brother the “Deep V.”

Once considered a great alternative to the crew neck undershirt, the v-neck has emerged as the number 1 option for many in terms of socially acceptable going out apparel. Many of the early adopters are not shy to sport a myriad of colors ranging from the traditional black & white all the way to the Neon pinks and greens. The mainstream has brought the v-neck to another level with graphics, pockets, ripped collars, long sleeves, short sleeves, etc…the list goes on. So much has gone into the evolution of the v-neck that is hard to say what style is right for whom. Everyone’s body type is different and no one brand makes the same v-neck as the neck. One has to be comfortable in their own skin and furthermore one has to look good.

So where does one start when looking for the right v-neck for them? Well here’s a start:

  1. Know your scene: If your scene is one that doesn’t quite go for the gaudy hipster/street fashion of graphic tees with embellishments and outlandish caricatures, then go with a simple solid color that is conservative yet still chique. Stick the basic dark colors of black, navy, even heathered primary colors. These will allow you to stay stylish and get noticed.
  2. Add a twist: If you’re not comfortable going out in just a v-neck thinking you are too dressed down for the event you are going to. Add a blazer to your outfit to add a more formal tone to a generally more casual look. Tuck in your v-neck and wear a stylish belt. These little additions will enhance your outfit and give it the added twist you need to “class” up your outfit.
  3. Don’t be afraid of the deep V:  If you have the right mix of body hair and muscles, the deep V may be for you. Your pectorals are your assets and you worked hard for these results, why not show them off? Give them some air and let them be showcased. Your manliness will never be put into question and your confidence will only go up with the compliments. Now I personally cannot rock the deep V and I cannot say that is my personal style, but I respect those who wear it with pride and salute the men who make it work.

There you have it, the age of the V-neck is upon us… until next time gents!